Eurovision 2014 - Latest News Part 2

by 10:45 PM 0 coments


Good evening dear readers! It's now time to do a small resume of what happened in the Eurovision World after my previous post. As I reported in my last article, I was busy with some exams but now everything is alright and I'm excited to start my courses though I have to admit that I'm a bit nervous because there are some books that I need to read and I didn't start doing that yet (I know, I'm really lazy).

Anyway, let's focus on the major events that happened recently: 

  1. Turkey will not return to Eurovision 2014 
I'm really sad to hear that and I have to admit that I really miss the Turkish entries a lot but somehow I support them. Clearly some changes need to be done regarding the rules of the contest, I had enough of political voting and paid juries, EBU indeed made some changes, which are not effective from my point of view.... "The jury names from each country will be revealed in early May next year", WOW, that helped a lot....now Azerbaijan can go and put money in their pockets and maybe they will win again as they did in 2011. Seriously? 

     2.   Belgium is organizing a National Final 

Great! I really love and support every country that is organizing a National Final! In this way, everyone will be involved in choosing the right song to represent the country. France and UK surely need to learn from this country. The Belgian National Selection is called "Eurosong 2014" and will consist in 2 selections: a selection for artists and another one for songs. Candidates wishing to represent Belgium at the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest can submit their applications to VRT until 7 October. The rules and regulations for the 2014 Belgian Eurovision national selection - Eurosong 2014 can be found here

     3. Submission period ended in Scandinavia

A total of 600 songs were received in Norway for Melodi Grand Prix 2014. Their National Final will consist of 3 semifinals of 5 participants each and the Grand Final. The dates of the shows will be announced in due course by the Norwegian broadcaster.

Sweden: 2628 songs submitted for Melodifestivalen 2014. A jury panel will now select 15 songs out of the 2628 submissions. A total of 16 more contestants will be decided by SVT. One name which is already confirmed out of those 16 is the trio band EKO who won the Svensktoppen Nästa 2013.

Shortly after, the official dates were released:

01/02: Semifinal 1 - Malmö
08/02: Semifinal 2 - Linköping
15/02: Semifinal 3 - Gothenburg
22/02: Semifinal 4 - Örnsköldsvik
01/03: Second chance - Lidköping
08/03: Final - Stockholm

Finland: 420 songs submitted for UMK 2014 which is scheduled to kick off on 28 December on YLE 2.  A special jury will now pick 12 lucky songs from the submitted songs and the names will be revealed on November 4th this year.

     4. Croatia will not be in Copenhagen next year! 

A shocking decision, I always thought that Croatia had a big interest in the contest but it seems that I was wrong again. Probably due to Croatia's poor results at the Eurovision Song Contest the broadcaster was influenced to take a break from the competition. Croatia didn't qualify in the final since 2009, hence staying out of the grand final in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. I wasn't a big fan but I loved their entries from 2009 and 2011.

Well these are the most important events that happened recently and as usual, I will keep you all in touch with all the important news about the forthcoming Eurovision Song Contest. Have a great week ya'll!


Florin Marian Suciu

Writer

Eurovision Fan since 2009, student of History and Accounting.

0 coments: