Exclusive interview with Carl Espen (Norway)

by 6:00 PM 0 coments
Carl Espen
Carl Espen Thorbjørnsen was born in Bergen, Norway, in 1982. In English he simply calls himself Carl Espen. He is the oldest of three siblings, and grew up in a family full of a love for music. Now he will represent Norway at the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen with the song Silent Storm. 

Music has always played big role in Carl’s life, and he has carried this dream with him all along. The steps onto the Eurovision Song Contest stage on the 8th of May will not be many, but for Carl they will be crucial. The time has come for him to show the world that he has a dream, and he feels that it is now or never. I had the honor to ask Carl a few questions about his song and the forthcoming Eurovision Song Contest. Check out the full interview below:

1. First of all, congratulations for winning the Norwegian National Final. How did you feel when you heard the news?

Thank you so much! I felt so happy, proud, humbled, shocked and excited at the same time. It was the biggest experience of my life.

2. What made you decide to take part at Eurovision this year?

In a way it's a long story. My cousin Josefin Winther, who is an established songwriter and artist, knew that I was carrying a dream inside. And that this dream was to sing for people. She also saw that I was carrying feelings inside, that should be expressed. She sat down and wrote "silent storm", where she tried to put my inner life of feelings into words. She showed the song to me, but didn't tell me it was for me. I felt that this song was "mine" right away. Then she suggested that I sing it, and to send it to Eurovision. I said yes immediately. 

3. What do you know about Eurovision? Do you have any favorite songs from past editions?

I think I'm like the average guy when it comes to Eurovision knowledge. Except for everything I've learned the last months. I think there have been many good songs in Eurovision up through the years, but I must say that Waterloo by ABBA, is one incredibly good songs. I know it's stating the obvious, but it's such a masterpiece in pop melody making and great lyrics. 

4. What do you think about Norway's achievements at Eurovision? Who were your favorites and why?

I am proud to be in the company of Norwegian artists that have represented Norway. It feels natural to mention the more recent acts, but I think Margaret Berger had a very strong act. 


5. What is the message behind your song “Silent Storm”?

Silent Storm is a song written for me by my cousin. She feels that I carry difficult feelings inside. That I am quiet on the outside, but that a lot is going on right underneath the surface. I think Silent Storm has a universal message, but for me it is about not having found one's place in the world, and this notion of have unsettled feelings inside of me. Also it carries a growing hope that someday I'll be calm. 

6. What can we expect from the staging when you perform in Copenhagen?

For me it is important to keep the focus on the song and it's message. The atmosphere is fragile, intense, personal and powerful, and the art is to stay true to the song and what I am expressing. We are all excited about the new possibilities that come with a new stage, and will definitely seek to utilize them. At the same time, the most important thing in the stage show, is to keep the focus on being present in the lyrics, and in contact with myself throughout the performance. 

7. Do you have a favorite song/s from another country this year?

Yes, I really like Finland's song and also I have grown fond of the Netherlands. The country feel to it, is so nice. 

8. What’s your dream placing at Eurovision? 

I don't think so much about placing, votes, bookies and all that stuff. I am just happy and grateful to be a part of this adventure, and try to remain the person I am, and not forget why I am doing this. My dream for Eurovision is to manage to sing the song, and move people with the words and my voice. If I can do that, I am very very happy. 

9. Why people should vote for you and for your song?

They should vote for me and "Silent Storm" if they feel that I have touched them, and the message is important to them. 

10. Do you have a message for your fans on florinesc.com?

I would like to send out a warm and loving greeting to the readers of florinesc.com. Thank you so much for reading my interview and taking interest in my music and my career. I am extremely thankful for being in this competition, and I wouldn't be here without the support from all my fans. Kind regards from Carl Espen. 

Follow Carl's official Facebook Page here.

 


Description source: eurovision.tv 
Photo source: Carl Espen Official 

Unknown

Writer

Eurovision Fan since 2009, student of History and Accounting.

0 coments: