Eurovision 2014 Reviews & Predictions: Semifinal 1

by 2:16 PM 0 coments

Howdy ya'll! It's been a long, very long time since I've written something on my blog. But hey, I'm back with fresh reviews about the forthcoming Eurovision Song Contest. It's finally that time of the year when I'll be reviewing all the entries and hopefully give a good prediction about their qualification chances in the Grand Final. Let's start with Semifinal 1! 
  1. Armenia - a country that usually does good in Eurovision but sadly, this year, Armenia is EXTREMELY overrated. Don't get me wrong, the song is nice but if it was for me, I would say that the qualification chances should be minimal. The Armenian song has a very boring start and it becomes interesting only after two minutes and, that's it. My prediction is YES, Armenia will qualify, but only because of the overrating on the betting odds. Definitely not a winner! 
  2. Latvia - oh I remember when the Latvian broadcaster released their national final songs. They had PURE golden songs and they've chosen a silly Cake to represent them. The song is decent, Ok, but nothing more. My prediction for Latvia is NO, not a qualifier. Better luck next year! 
  3. Estonia - the Estonian entry is a true masterpiece! Love it! Thanks God, Sandra Nurmsallu didn't won with that dull song. "Amazing" is definitely not a copy of "Euphoria" as many amateurs said and I actually think it will do just fine. I mean not everyone can move and sing like Tanja, not even Loreen. My prediction is 100% YES, fingers crossed for Tallinn next year! 
  4. Sweden - Oh well, a cheesy, crying song but hey, Sanna had to win one day eventually, and she finally did it (even though Ace Wilder was way better). Don't get me wrong, I love it but it has that Svenska music taste in it, something that we hear every year. My prediction is YES, Sweden will qualify! 
  5. Iceland - This song has a great message but totally not for Eurovision. Iceland always does well in Eurovision but this year maybe it's time to stay out of the Final. Not sure what to predict, the song is just ok and the fans don't brag about it that much. Prediction YES, it will qualify, 65% sure. 
  6. Albania - oh dear, what have you done Albania? I'm not a fan of non-english songs, but somehow converting the Albanian song in English simply ruined it. Sounds like a cheap song from the 90's that we accidentally hear at the radio. Nothing special. My prediction: NO, Albania will stay out of the Final this year. 
  7. Russia - I have to say that Russia disappointed me this year. After promising a spectacular National Final in December they ended up sending two girls with a junior eurovision song. The song is Ok, sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Probably depends on the mood. My prediction is: YES, Russia will qualify. We're talking about Russia here, just to point that out. 
  8. Azerbaijan - Damn! I was expecting something huge from Azerbaijan this year but they ended up sending a plat ballad that simply doesn't emanate any feelings at all. No, this song totally doesn't deserve to qualify but as I said before about Russia, it's Azerbaijan! It will qualify but definitely not win, unless they will buy votes again (which I'm sure they will). My prediction is: YES. 
  9. Ukraine - yeah! Ukraine was in my top since their National Final ended. That girl really knows what she's doing on stage and the song is a pure masterpiece. I loved all three versions of it, somehow the 2nd one is still stuck in my head but I love it anyhow. Definitely YES, Ukraine will qualify! 
  10. Belgium - oh mother! This guy has stunning vocals and the song has that weird sadness feeling or maybe I'm far to separated from my mother. Anyway, the judges will love it but not sure if the public will do the same. I can't see it through though. My prediction is NO, though I might be wrong here! 
  11. Moldova - Hell Yeah baby! The drama lady with a marvelous song. Absolutely love it. The show will be spectacular, I'm sure! So there's no reason to believe that this song won't qualify. My prediction is totally YES, we have a finalist here! Moldova never disappoints! 
  12. San Marino - I made a joke on twitter yesterday: imagine a crazy world where the doctor, priest, lawyer and the ESC artist are in fact one person only: Valentina Monetta, that crazy, must visit place, is San Marino. Sending Valentina once again is probably viewed by everyone as a joke. Maybe the judges will have pity and we'll see Valetina in the Final or Maybe she will make another comeback next year. Who knows... "Maybe" is an average song, something from the 70's. Definitely not a qualifier. Prediction: NO! 
  13. Portugal - Dios mio! She's a naughty kitty, don't know why I said that (go away, dirty thoughts). Quero Ser Tua is a typical lambada song which unfairly won over Catarina's Mea Culpa, something that I won't easily forget. The girl can barely sing and let's be honest, the song doesn't stand a chance in qualifying. My prediction is: NO, pick Catarina internally next year, Portugal! 
  14. Netherlands - My first impression (which always seems to be the correct one) was not good. After a few more listenings, the dutch song grew on me a lot. Totally not a song for Eurovision but I love the country feeling. It's a great song and I wouldn't mind see it in the Final this year. The judges will surely vote for it but the public will barely notice it. My prediction is YES, 25% sure. Fingers crossed! 
  15. Montenegro - Finally a DECENT song from Montenegro. Finally the desire to qualify appeared! The song sounds great in English, sadly it will be perform in Montenegrin. My prediction is NO, but anything can happen! 
  16. Hungary - One word for this song, actually two: Brilliant Masterpiece! We might deal with the actual winner of the event here. Great vocals, great song, great message and great show - it has all the ingredients to be a potential winner. My prediction, with no doubt, is totally YES, a qualifier! 
Well that was it! Thank you for reading my review of the 1st Semifinal. I strongly believe that Estonia, Hungary, Sweden, Russia and Azerbaijan will qualify but I usually get two or three wrong, so I can't wait for the actual event to arrive.  Only two weeks left until Semifinal 1! Follow me on Facebook here and on Twitter here. Don't miss my review of the 2nd Semifinal, coming up next weekend!

Unknown

Writer

Eurovision Fan since 2009, student of History and Accounting.

0 coments: