Part one: Eurovision 2013 Review

by 2:09 PM 0 coments
Finally my review starts today! Only 13 days left until the Grand Final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 and and 9 days left until the 1st Semifinal kicks off. I have to admit that I was quite disappointed on how Sweden organized Eurovision so far...They didn't do the traditional semifinal running order draw and instead the organizers decided on what position each country will perform, which was a bit unfair when we know that always the 2nd position is cursed because no one remembers it (poor San Marino). 

Today I'm analyzing the first Semifinal and try to pick 10 lucky qualifiers! 


1.AUSTRIA - Natália Kelly "Shine"






A really nice entry. I love everything about it and the girl can really sing! She knows how to interact with the viewers and I'm quite sure that this entry will do well in Malmo. Not a winner but has a chance to reach the famous Top 10.   My Prediction for Austria this year is YES, it will definitively qualify! 

2.ESTONIA - Birgit Ă•igemeel - Et Uus Saaks Alguse






When this song won the Estonian National Selection for Eurovision I was a bit disappointed because they had better songs but now I sort of like it. Still, this can't be compared with 'Kuula' or 'Urban Symphony' and I'm not sure if it will reach the Final this year....it depends on how the juries will see it. My Prediction for Estonia is: No, though anything can happen. 

3.SLOVENIA: Hannah - Straight Into Love






A nice entry but not good enough for Eurovision. I feel that this song has nothing to send to the public and will most likely fail to qualify. I personally don't like it so much and I doubt that it will qualify. The juries will probably like her because she has great vocals so that will bring Hannah a few points. My final prediction for Slovenia is NO, though the juries can change this. 

4.CROATIA-Klapa s Mora - MiĹľerja
 The Croatian Broadcaster wanted to bring something traditional to Eurovision after seeing how well is doing Serbia when they're sending songs with traditional elements...oh well I don't actually think that this will do well at Eurovision but still they will do a better job in a Church. I personally like the song but I'm sure that it won't qualify. My prediction for Croatia this year is NO.  

5.DENMARK -Emmelie De Forest - Only Teardrops






Ladies and Gentlemen, Denmark is the winner of the forthcoming Eurovision Song Contest. I loved this entry  since their National Final. It has the perfect elements to be the winner this year and I will vote for it in the Grand Final. My Predicition for Denmark is definitively YES!  

6.RUSSIA - Dina Garipova - What If






A cheesy entry but everyone seems to love it. Dina has an incredible voice and I'm very sure that this entry will do very well in Malmo. Not sure if she will reach Top 10 but still she is a 100% qualifier, even though Belarus is not there to help Russia oh wait Belarus is here! My predicition for Russia is YES! 

7.UKRAINE-Zlata Ognevich - Gravity






I know Zlata since 2010, when she tried to represent Ukraine with an incredible song but sadly (as usual) the Ukrainian Broadcaster faked everything and the winner was declared Mika Newton. The real winner was Jamala. "Gravity" is a very noisy entry with has the potential to do well in Malmo + Zlata's voice will most likely bring Ukraine a Top 3 again. My prediction for Ukraine is YES! 

8.NETHERLANDS-Anouk - Birds





A very boring entry from my point of view. Anouk had better songs but this one is just so dull and has nothing to offer. Maybe the super world famous name 'Anouk' will bring the Netherlands a place in the Grand Final. I'm not sure if luck will hit Netherlands this year so that's why my prediction is 35% YES. 

9.MONTENEGRO-Who See - Igranka






WoW! Again a 'wild' and 'hardcore' entry from Montenegro. Sometimes I'm wondering why EBU allows Montenegro to enter such cheap entries. This is something that Eastern Europe has to offer and I'm 100% sure that this entry won't do well in Malmo. My final predicition for Montenegro is NO. Thumbs up for helping Serbia though! 

10.LITHUANIA-Andrius Pojavis - Something






This entry was very hated when it won the Lithuanian National Selection but Andrius eyebrows might convince someone to vote for him. Deep lyrics but not everyone can understand them. My final prediction for Lithuania is NO. 

11.BELARUS-Alyona Lanskaya - Solayoh






A really nice song but the video preview is really sh*t! Never combine modern sh*t with dancing songs like 'Solayoh'. Alyona was robbed by the president last year when she won the Belorussian National Selection but that didn't stop her to make a comeback this year and eventually won again. My prediction for Belarus this year is 89% YES! 

12.MOLDOVA-Aliona Moon - O Mie

 Oh my God I'm so proud of this entry. This song amazing but sadly Aliona decided to sing in Romanian...it would have got higher chances in English. My prediction for Moldova is YES, even though Romania is not there to help them. 


13.IRELAND-Ryan Dolan - Only Love Survives






A great entry but still his voice is not so good for it. The juries will most likely not vote for it but the public will do its job for sure. My prediction for Ireland is 80% YES! 

14.CYPRUS-Despina Olympiou - An Me Thimáse






Oh my God this is boring as hell and besides that, Despina sings in Greek which makes the song extremely boring. Probably I will get some popcorn when Cyprus will enter the stage. My prediction for Cyprus is 101% NO.

15.BELGIUM-Roberto Bellarosa - Love Kills






A very boring entry when it won the National Selection but after the new version appeared and the video was released, the chances increased a lot! I hope that Roberto will sing good live else he might loose the chance to enter the Grand Final. I personally like the song but I'm not sure if this will enter the Final. My prediction for Belgium is 50% YES. 

16.SERBIA-Moje 3 - Ljubav je svuda






Extremely bitchy entry but thx God they're not singing in English. This is something that most Euro fans don't like but the juries might vote for it + Montenegro is here to help them so I'm quite sure that Serbia will qualify even though they don't deserve it. My final prediction for Serbia is 67% YES. 

In the end, this Semifinal will be interesting to watch and the results might be shocking. I predict that Serbia, Belgium, Ireland, Moldova, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Denmark, Austria and Netherlands will qualify. What about your prediction?  

Florin Marian Suciu

Writer

Eurovision Fan since 2009, student of History and Accounting.